This is an article about the usability of the website. The author has personally described 43 common mistakes made in website design, and undoubtedly these errors will greatly affect the usability of the website. Nowadays, the website's usability has become a trend, but looking at major domestic websites, it seems that usability has not become a concept widely understood by designers, so I hope this article will be useful to everyone.
1. The user must know what the website does in seconds. Attention is the most valuable currency on the Internet. If a visitor doesn't know the direction of your site within a few seconds, he is likely to switch to another site. You must quickly tell visitors why they are spending time on your site.
2. Make the site easy to read. The Internet is not a book, so there is no need to use large blocks of text. Maybe I was busy with other work when I visited your site and I had to read everything quickly. Bullets, titles, subtitles, and lists all help readers quickly find what they want.
3. Don't use fancy fonts that are difficult to read. Of course, certain fonts can make a website exciting. But are they easy to read? If your main purpose is to convey information and make the reader read, you should make the reading process more comfortable.
4. Don't use small fonts. As mentioned in the previous article, you need to make the reader comfortable. Although my Firefox has a zoom function, if I have to zoom in to see a website, I will never visit it again.
5. Do not open a new browser window. My first website used to do this often. The reason is simple. Open external links in a new window so users do n’t have to leave my site. wrong! Let the user decide how to open the link, otherwise the large back button on the browser is unnecessary. Don't worry about users leaving your site, they will come back when necessary.
6. Don't change the user's browser window size. Users have control over their browsers. If you change the window size, you will lose credit in front of them.
7. Don't let users register when not necessary. Frankly speaking, I go online to get information, not for anything else. Do not force me to sign up and leave my email and other information unless it is particularly necessary (for example, the message you can provide is very valuable).
8. Don't subscribe visitors to e-magazines without their consent. Don't automatically subscribe visitors to e-zine when they sign up. Unsolicited emails are not a good way to make friends.
9. Don't use Flash too much. Flash will not only increase the read time of the website, excessive use may even make visitors feel uncomfortable. Use Flash only when static pages cannot express your intent.
10. Don't play music. In the early years, web developers liked to integrate music in their websites, but they failed. Remember, never use music.
11. When you have to use sound, let the user activate it. Sometimes you have to use a sound file, for example you want to send a speech to a user, or your tutorial contains sound. This is fine, but let the user control it, let the user click the "play" button, and don't play the sound at the moment when the webpage is opened.
12. Don't let the logo mess up your website. Social network and community logos can make your site look very unprofessional. Even signs such as medals and honors should be placed on the "About Us" page.
13. Don't use the "click to go" page. The fewer steps a user has to access the content, the better.
14. Be careful to leave contact information. The worst is that the website has no contact information left. Not only is it not friendly to the visitors, it is not good for you either, you will miss valuable feedback.
15. Do not affect the action of the "back" button. This is the most basic idea of website usability. Under no circumstances should the action of the "back" button be affected. For example, opening a new window will break it, and some Java cript links will break it.
16. Don't use flashing text. Unless your visitors are from 1996, don't use flashing text.
17. Avoid complex URL structures. A simple keyword-based URL structure will not only improve your search engine rankings, but also allow visitors to understand the content of a web page before visiting it.
18. Use C layout instead of tables. HTML tables were once used for page layout, but there is no need to stick to it, especially after C was born. C is faster, more stable, and offers more features.
19. Ensure that users can search the entire website. The reason that the search engine brought about the Internet revolution is that it makes it easy to find information. Don't antagonize your website.
20. Avoid using drop-down menus. The user should see all navigation options intuitively. Drop-down menus can be confusing and hide the information visitors really want.
21. Use text as a navigation bar. Text navigation is not only fast, but also more stable. For example, some users close pictures when they are online.
22. If you need to link to a PDF document, be sure to specify it. You must have clicked on the link, the browser just died, waiting for Acrobat Reader to start, just to open a (you don't want to see) PDF? This is a lot of trouble, so be sure to specify it next to the link to the PDF so that users can take appropriate action.
23. Don't confuse visitors with multiple versions. What bandwidth do you want to use? 56K? 128K? Flash or HTML? Hi, I just want to see the content quickly!
24. Don't mix ads in content. Mixing ads in the content (such as Adsee) may increase the click-through rate of ads in the short term, but in the long run, this will reduce the popularity of the site. Angry users will leave.
25. Use a simple navigation structure. Too late. This rule usually applies to people and choices. Make sure your website's navigation structure is simple and concise. Don't you want users to have trouble finding information?
26. Avoid content presentations. Don't force users to look at something before accessing real content. This is furious, and unless the information you provide is required by the user, he won't wait.
27 Make sure your website is compatible with most browsers. Browsers are not exactly the same, and methods for interpreting C and other languages are quite different. Whether you like it or not, you should make the website compatible with commonly used browsers on the market, otherwise you will lose some readers forever.
28. Make sure to add meaningful text to the link. I used to make this mistake often. Telling people "click here" is easy, but it has no effect. Make sure the link text makes sense. It lets visitors know what will happen after clicking on the link, and it can also bring SEO effects to the external site that the link points to.
29. Make the link visible. Visitors should be able to easily identify what can and cannot be clicked on. Make sure that the colors of the links have a strong contrast (standard blue is usually the best). If possible, it is best to underline.
30. Do not underline or color ordinary text. Unless you have a special need, do n’t underline normal text. Just as users need to identify what is clickable, they shouldn't mistake the text for clicks as clickable.
31 Change the color of visited links. This is very important for improving website usability. Changing the color of visited links helps users locate on the site, ensuring they don't inadvertently visit the same page twice.
32. Don't use dynamic GIFs. Avoid using animated GIFs unless you have a banner that requires animation. It makes the site look amateurish and distracts visitors.
33. Add ALT and TITLE attributes to the image. ALT and TITLE will not only bring SEO effects, but also greatly help the blind.
Wuhan Luojiashan Xuezi Network Technology Co., Ltd. is an established internet company established for 10 years! Adhering to the concept of customer demand first and service first, the company has established stations for many enterprises in Wuhan, and has also won praise from many customers in Wuhan as a website! Welcome customers who have Wuhan station construction needs to come to consult! We will help you build the perfect website with a dedicated service attitude and professional technology! Phone: 027-68772750 18986172926